cults21

Since the release of their self-titled debut album back in 2011, a lot has happened to lead singer Madeline Follin and guitarist Brian Oblivion, who together make up Cults. After going their separate ways romantically, the two came back together musically for their second LP “Static.” The record chronicles the duo’s breakup, and the feelings and emotions that come with it.

One of the first songs, “I Can Hardly Make You Mine,” sets the tone for the album. Here, they leave behind the slow, relaxing melodies made popular by their first album for a darker, retro vibe. “High Road” carries on this new sound as the duo reminisces over past regrets. Follin and Oblivion sing, “Should’ve took the high road / Now my days have all turned black” over psychedelic guitar riffs and eerie synths. These themes of heartbreak, sorrow and regret are major parts of the album, and reoccur all throughout.

If one song best conveys the message of the album, it is “Were Before.” Powered by mesmerizing drum patterns and dreamy piano melodies, Cults takes us on a trip down memory lane, through the beginnings and end of their relationship. Love and sorrow pour out through Follin’s voice as she sings, “‘Cause we liked that / Just like the way we were before / This all mixed up / But that’s just what we had in store.” This power and emotion is continued in “So Far.” Though slower in pace, the track is carried by her powerful vocals as she croons, “And I wonder how you sleep at night / You know that it’s not just alright.” Follin’s vulnerability brings listeners deeper into the song, creating a unique experience.

“Static” sees Cults coming into their own as a group. For listeners expecting another album like their 2011 debut, be aware: You will not find that here. The duo trades in feel-good sounds for a darker and more defined album, filled with themes of heartbreak, lost love and hope for the future. While the themes can get repetitive in some aspects, “Static” does what it is intended to do — it brings listeners in closer to the talented duo’s music.

Rating: 3.5 stars