Courtesy of the Wikimedia Commons
Courtesy of the Wikimedia Commons

The first few pages of 365 have now been written. Some use a pen to remember the permanent memories. Others use a pencil to sketch pieces of foggy memories back together. Whether 2013 ended with a party with Uncle Frank and Auntie Anne or with our old friends, Jack Daniel and Captain Morgan, the first day of 2014 is usually spent with ibuprofen and a pillow. On Jan. 1, one may regret that last Jack and Coke he chugged, yet he’ll still toast with one more drink than last year come the next New Year’s Eve. But as we get older — and we like to think wiser — remedies are passed through the grapevine to help us get through unofficial Hangover Day. Avoid, lessen and end the hangover with these tips on drinks, food and morning after routines to keep you strong and stable to take on the day and year.

Now, it doesn’t take a three-hour lecture in the UNLH to understand the easiest way to avoid a hangover. But, having an alcohol-free celebration is like having cellphone service in the HUB: hopeful and disappointing. The next best option is wise drinking. Just like all of our favorite treats, it is better to consume in moderation. Set a small drink maximum for your favorite drinks. This system gives one a chance to mix it up without the worry of going overboard. With that said, stay away from sugary drinks. The mixed drinks such as Coke and Rum, Whiskey Sours and Smirnoff Ice will have the worst effect. Because of the sugar content in the liquor, the drink will settle in the stomach and cause headaches, nausea, and possible vomiting.

Wine and champagne have the most debilitating effects and hit consumers like a semi-truck. Champagne should never be consumed in large amounts … so I would just leave room for that one toast at midnight. Also, before the night of drinking, two ibuprofens are a great way to avoid the mid-party headaches and sore feet rather than just taking that extra shot of tequila. (Please remember, never take medication while drinking!) Many know to drink plenty of water during and after drinking the good stuff. And if one decides to play around in the liquor library, it’s always good to keep in the back of your mind: “beer before liquor, never been sicker. Liquor before beer, have no fear.”

But it’s not always about the type of drinks that enter the system: It’s also about the food. I remember the show “Grounded for Life” and the episode called “St. Patrick’s Day.” Irish men in the family and the preparations for St. Patrick’s Day — or more specifically, the crazy night of. The dad explained that they have to eat solids, like bread, so when they vomit, it is easy clean up. I start to gag whenever I think about it, but I have to admit, it’s not a bad idea!

The go-to-food while drinking, however, is greasy food, most commonly Mexican food. Now, as a Hispanic, I know the Mexican soup, menudo, is not only a remedy for the flu but also a hangover. Second-year Mary Hansen, and a majority of students, say that the best food to eat while and after drinking is Mexican food. “Believe it or not, it soaks up the alcohol. Just don’t eat a lot if that will make you sick,” fourth-year Dani Eaves answers as I question if the greasy food will make one nauseous. “The greasier the better,” fourth-year Karla Lara adds, “my personal favorite is an Italian Sausage Melt from Getaway” for the next day.

All these precautions sound great. But what if that one Screwdriver did you dirty, and it still feels like you got a T.K.O. from Mike Tyson himself? Many suggest to keep drinking. A Bloody Mary sitting on the nightstand as the morning greeting couldn’t hurt, especially if you’re one for spicy. Another home remedy was given by third-year Rodney Recinos, “Make a mixture of tomato juice, lemon, and a beer with some tapatio.” If a spicy kick isn’t your thing or the sight of beer bottles is giving you war flashbacks, there’s another option. “Oranges and Pedialyte,” fourth-year Deztini Malik says, as she craves anything healthy. (If you just cringed with the thought of drinking Pedialyte, you’re not alone, but apparently grape is “not that bad”). Others may want to take the approach of anything bland and hearty such as a plain baked potato, like fourth-year Rennae Ybarra does. “Works every time.”

Whether you take a trip to the greasy spoon, get the extra drink to go for the morning after, or grab something healthy, as long as you replenish your body and eat, the hangover is like last year’s news. Always drink responsibly and stay safe … 2014 just started!