Courtesy of UCR Today
Courtesy of UCR Today

UC undergraduate admissions offices across the 10 campuses reported a total of 6.2 percent system increase in freshman applicants for the 2014 fall quarter — an increase of 8,692 students as compared to last year.

UC Riverside saw a relatively small application increase this year compared to other UCs across the state. According to data released by the UC Office of the President (UCOP), UCR received 1,090 more freshman applicants for the 2014-15 school year than for the 2013-14 year, marking an increase of only 3.2 percent.

Chicanos-Latinos once again remained the largest ethnic group among applicants with a percentage of 32.7. At UCR, Chicano-Latinos also accounted for the largest number of applicants at 12,810.

Transfer student applications were down overall as 187 fewer students applied to the UC as compared to a year ago. UCR’s transfer applications grew slightly, however, with a total of 8,496, up 1.5 percent from last year.

UCLA once again received the most total applications in the UC system, breaking the 100,000-applicant mark for the first time.

UCR received the second fewest in the UC with 43,395 applications. UC Merced received the fewest total applications in the UC with 17,469 and also saw the smallest percent increase at 1.6 percent.

The data also shows that well over half of the total UCR applicants come from low-income families. Additionally, 59 percent of the the applications UCR received were from first-generation college applicants. UCR ranked second in both categories among all other UCs.