Men’s golf swings its way into fifth place at the UC Santa Barbara Intercollegiate

The UCR men’s golf team finished in fifth place last week at the OGIO UC Santa Barbara Intercollegiate, sinking their shots in 882 strokes over the two-day tournament. UCR ended the first day with a fifth-place finish, only five strokes from leading UC Santa Barbara. On day two, UCR was able to hold onto the fifth-best score, finishing only six strokes short of fourth-place Air Force. Brandon Tsujimoto shot 74-72-71 (217) and led the Highlanders, followed closely behind by David Gazzolo, who shot 73-69-77 (219). Sam Gillis was next with 70-73-77 (220) and Pachara Sakulyong shot 74-79-73 (226). Ryan Smith rounded out the squad with a score of 241 (78-83-80).

Women’s golf places sixth at the Big West Conference Championship

The women’s golf squad improved its score in each round of the Big West Conference Championship, finishing sixth out of eight teams. UC Davis took the title for the fifth-straight year, which took place in San Luis Obispo, Calif. However, UCR’s Savannah Vilaubi waltzed her way into fifth place with the help of a third-round score of 70, finishing with a stroke count of 221. Brittani Ferraro finished 22nd with a score of 237, while Yuri Ahn fell one swing short at 238, good for 24th place. Isabelle Shee had 240 on her score card, while Haley Wian had 241.

Men’s tennis sets sights on conference tournament after losing to Hawaii and Irvine

The UCR men’s tennis team lost to the Hawaii Warriors, 6-1, last Monday and lost their season finale Wednesday to UC Irvine, 7-0. UCR doubles team Luis Gastao and Sean Robles as well as Cooper Bridge stole two wins against the Warriors 8-5 and 1-6, 7-5 and 10-6, respectively. Against UC Irvine, the men’s doubles team came close in the number two match, but fell 8-7. “It was a tough loss today,” Head Coach Tim Downey stated. “We’ll do our best to rebound and be ready for the conference tourney next week.”

Women’s tennis falls to ranked UCI and CSULB

The UC Riverside women’s tennis team lost to No. 65 UC Irvine and No. 52 Long Beach State 7-0 on Thursday and Friday, respectively. Both teams swept the Highlanders 7-0. UCI reigned in the doubles points and also won straight sets in all six singles matches. The 49ers also recorded 8-0 victories in all three doubles matches as well as straight-set wins in each six contests. The Highlanders now prepare for the Big West Conference Championship set to start on Thursday, April 24 at Indian Wells Tennis Garden in Indian Wells, Calif.

Track and field take on the Mt. Sac Relays and Beach Invitational

The men and women’s track and field team visited the Beach Invitational and the prestigious Mt. Sac Relays over the weekend. Shaneen Casada finished in hammer throw in 15th place with a 49.07-meter throw. Noelle Abboud led the women in the 400-meter dash with a 10th-place finish of 56.23. At Mt. Sac., Ted Hooper long-jumped to eighth place with a 7.53m mark. The team of Hooper, Michael Kojin, Justin Harris and Bryan Adams competed in the men’s 4×100 meter relay, finishing with a time of 41.24, good for 12th place.