Men’s soccer wins league opener

The men’s soccer team cruised by Sacramento State on Thursday, Oct. 2, with a convincing 4-0 shutout win. It was the first time since 2011 that the program won their league opener. Stephen Copley, Ricardo Ruiz, Michael Salazar and Andre Parada all scored within the first half. The defense was pivotal in the win, allowing only three shots on goal. On Saturday, however, the Highlanders dropped a 1-0 decision to UC Davis. A win would have been the first time in team history that the club opened league play 2-0. The Aggies outshot UCR 18-14, and also were more accurate with seven shots on goal to UCR’s four. The men’s soccer team’s next game is at home against Cal Poly, this Thursday, Oct. 9.

Women’s soccer ties in double overtime

UCR’s women’s soccer tied UC Davis, 0-0, in double overtime in a Thursday night conference showdown. The Highlanders have recorded five shutouts this season, the most since 2009. The Highlanders (5-3-3, 0-0-1) outshot the Aggies (3-7-2, 0-0-1) 16 to seven. UCR goalie Elizabeth Silas racked up three saves versus Aggie goalie Taylor Jern’s six. The club’s next match is at home, this Thursday, Oct. 9, against UC Irvine.

Women’s tennis begins season

The women’s tennis team started their first tournament of the season at the Beach Tennis Fall Tournament in Long Beach last Friday, Oct. 3. The team fared well on the first day, but fell short on the second. Kassie Truong outplayed Christy Scott of Montana, 1-6, 6-2, 6-2; Sophie El-Kara defeated Devyn Billingsley of Cal State Fullerton 6-3, 6-1 and Natalie Penner defeated Alana Chaplin of Portland State, 6-1, 6-3. UCR’s Truong and El-Kara also triumphed in doubles, 8-5, over UC Irvine. On day two, Chloe Pham defeated Ellie Grossman from Loyola Marymount, but fell to Tiffany Tran of Air Force in the next round.

Men’s golf records strong opening day, falls short

The men’s golf team scored the second-lowest round of opening day at the Nick Watney Invitational, with under par scores from Sam Gillis and David Gazzolo. The team, however, couldn’t muster a strong second day, scoring 283, finishing ninth out of 10 competing teams. Matt Lutz tied at 38th place with 223, Brandon Tsujimoto tied for 46th with 224 and Andre Vu placed 54th with a score of 228. Pachara Sakulyong tied for 46th with 224. Pacific’s Byron Meth took the individual win by beating Cal Poly’s Mitch Martin by one stroke. The men’s team next competes at the Bill Cullum Invitational, beginning on Oct. 20.

Women’s volleyball excites, but falls short to UCSB and Cal Poly

Playing on the road, UCR recorded two losses over the weekend with the team falling short against both UC Santa Barbara and Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. On Friday, the Highlanders had a spread offense that included five kills each from Alex Gresham, Helena Peric and Ashley Cox, but ultimately the Highlanders fell in straight sets. On Saturday night against Cal Poly, Cox led the team with 22 kills, while Megan Reza had 11. In this match, there were eight tied scores in the first set, which ultimately went the way of the Mustangs. Though UCR nabbed the second set, Cal Poly would win the next two en route to a four-set victory.

Women’s golf’s Vilaubi places fourth overall  

On Sept. 28, the women’s golf team played in the Wyoming Cowgirl Desert Intercollegiate, finishing with a three-round score of 920 to place fourth out of 16 competing teams. The Highlanders were in second place Saturday, but fell back in the third round. Savannah Vilaubi tied for fourth out of 92 individuals, and was one stroke back of a tie for second. The winner, San Jose State’s Megan Osland, scored only eight less than Vilaubi. Freshman Hannah Facchini was second among the Highlanders, placing ninth overall with 228, while Haley Wian placed 20th at 223. Yuri Ahn was in 39th with 238, while Brittani Ferraro shot 240 and placed 49th.