Courtesy of 20th Century Fox
Courtesy of 20th Century Fox

It’s been a while since I’ve been this excited over an animated film. While I enjoy the typical Disney or DreamWorks film, seeing a minority director like Jorge Gutierrez direct a children’s film fills me with a unique sense of joy. I believe wholeheartedly in representation of minority characters and stories in the media and seeing “The Book of Life” was incredibly uplifting. Among the big names attached to this production are Guillermo del Toro as one of the producers, Diego Luna, Zoe Saldana and Channing Tatum as the voice actors for the main characters. Although the film prides itself in its spectacular cast and animation, it lacks in plot originality — while watching, I felt as if I had already experienced stories similar to this.

The story begins with a mischievous group of children arriving at a museum to go on a tour. The guide leads the small group to a secret room in the museum where a massive collection of Mexican artifacts lay. In the center lies the Book of Life, where the story begins. The film follows the lives of three childhood friends: Manolo (Luna), Maria (Saldana) and Joaquin (Tatum) along with their families and a pair of deities with a propensity to make bets with one another. The story switches from the world of the tour guide to the worlds of the Living, the Remembered and the Forgotten as the hero Manolo fights for the love of Maria.

As an art major, one of the reasons why I fell in love with this film is its art direction. In a breathtaking tour de force, the animators have created worlds rich in color and beauty, each with their own distinct style and color scheme. The film was a visual feast for the eyes, each scene saturated in beautiful colors and styles that take your breath away. My favorite world is the sumptuously animated Land of the Remembered. It is the embodiment of the eternal fiesta, where those who have passed on and are remembered by their loved ones get to live.

While the animation is rich, the storyline itself lacks creativity. In a typical love triangle-style plotline, the film relies heavily on used tropes such as the misfit protagonist, themes of the strength of love and the power of believing in yourself and the love of your family. However, the cliches in the film work in its favor. It felt nostalgic while watching the movie, as if I was watching a classic, feel-good Disney film.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed watching “The Book of Life.” It is beautifully animated and does an amazing job of breathing new life into classic storytelling for audiences. It’s not every day that one gets to see a film based on minority folklore that is also written and directed by a minority director. As the Halloween season is upon us, this film is the perfect for a fun night out with friends.