Archive / Highlander
Archive / Highlander

Nov. 1, 2014

Highlanders 88 – Lancers 78

The UC Riverside women’s basketball team continued its longstanding dominance over city rival Cal Baptist University, defeating the Division II school, 88-78. The Highlanders faced a six-point deficit at intermission before exploding for 51 points in the second.

Though the Highlanders led the all-time series against Cal Baptist University, 13-2, the Lancers looked prepared to reverse their misfortunes jumping out to a 47-37 lead at the half. The visiting team shot over 44 percent for the period, compared to 33 percent from UCR.

Seven minutes into the second half, the PacWest conference team opened its largest lead of the game at 13 points before UCR generated a comeback. Backed by converting points off turnovers, the Highlanders used a 19-3 run to finally take the lead, 71-69. UCR never trailed again as the home team secured the win, 88-78.

Though UC Riverside left with a victory, the Lancers led for the majority of the game. Out of the total 40 minutes played in the contest, Cal Baptist led for 24 minutes compared to UCR’s 10 minutes.

The Lancers shot better overall, 49 percent to 40 percent, but couldn’t take care of the basketball. UCR only recorded 11 turnovers compared to the visiting team’s 22. The Highlanders converted nearly 30 points off of those 22 turnovers, while getting to the free-throw line seven more times (36-29).

Five Highlanders scored in double figures, led by junior all-conference player Brittany Crain, who tallied 21 points. Though she only shot one-for-seven from beyond the arc, Crain was nearly perfect from the stripe (eight-for-nine) and grabbed 13 rebounds.

The junior was the only Highlander selected to the Big West Women’s Basketball Preseason Media All-Conference team earlier this month. Crain ranked 52nd in the nation in scoring last season while leading the league with 19.2 points per game. She also ranked first in the Big West in steals and minutes per game.

Annelise Ito chipped in 18 points, shooting six-for-10 from the field while dishing out seven assists. Reigning Big West Conference Freshman of the Year Simone DeCoud was quiet in the game, only recording two points without any field goals in 14 minutes.

Kamille Diaz and Courtney Nelson each scored 15 points to lead Cal Baptist.

With the victory, UCR extends the head-to-head versus the Lancers, 14-2. The team next plays another exhibition game against Cal Poly Pomona on Nov. 8 at the Student Recreation Center Arena.