Women’s Golf

On Monday, Feb. 9, the women’s golf team began their spring season with their first tournament at the Long Beach Gold Rush. On the first day, the Highlanders fired the fourth-lowest score of the day. After the first two rounds, the Highlanders shot a total of 605. Savannah Vilaubi shot a 74 and a 71 in the first two rounds, which was one over par, placing her in a three-way tie for third. Haley Wian shot a 71 and an 81 and finished in a four-way tie for 22nd.

The team moved up two spots the following day. After all three rounds, the Highlanders shot the third-lowest score with a total of 907. The team ended tied for third place with Brigham Young University. Wian shot a 76 in the final round, ending with a total of 277 while finishing the tournament 11 over par, tied for 14th place. In addition, Highlanders Hannah Facchini, Brittani Ferraro and Vilaubi all finished in the top 20. Each concluded the tournament tied for 16th place with a total score of 228.

The Highlanders are off to a good start as they ended ahead of Big West members Hawaii, UC Irvine and Cal State Fullerton in the tournament. The Highlanders now prepare to hit the road on Feb. 23-25 for their next competition in the Grand Canyon Invitational in Litchfield Park, Ariz.

Men’s Golf

On a sunny Monday morning, the men’s golf team initiated their spring season with a fourth-place finish at the Barona Collegiate Cup, hosted by San Diego State from Feb. 9-10. On the first day the Highlanders fired the third-lowest score after round one. After the second round, the team finished with a total score of 292. Sam Gillis and Matt Lutz both shot under-par scores; Gillis shot a 64 and Lutz shot a 67. The Highlanders were one of three teams able to finish both rounds on the first day before there was a stop in the play due to darkness.

On day two, the Highlanders moved up one spot. They shot a total score of 857 and fired the fourth-lowest score, finishing in a tie with UC Irvine for second. Gillis shot a 70 in the final round and finished with a total score of 207, placing him in a tie for fourth place and nine under par. In addition, David Gazzolo was the second Highlander who placed in the top 20. Gazzolo shot 69s in the first two rounds and finished only a stroke behind Gillis with a total score of 208. He finished in sixth place tied with PJ Samiere from San Diego State University. It was a good start to the season for UCR as they finished ahead of fellow Big West member UC Santa Barbara.

The Highlanders now prepare for their next competition in the Wyoming Desert Classic, which will be held Feb. 20-22 in Palm Desert, Calif.