Courtesy of the City of Riverside
Courtesy of the City of Riverside

A series of four robberies — including two home invasions — occurred near campus on the night of Feb. 17. The first incident occurred at 7:30 p.m. near Spruce Street and Watkins Drive when a suspect approached a victim who was seated in a car, and, brandishing a handgun, demanded the victim’s money. The suspect took the money and fled toward Watkins Drive.

The second robbery occurred as the suspect was fleeing the first crime scene. The same suspect put a firearm to a victim’s neck at the intersection of Watkins Drive and Spruce Street and took the victim’s money and cell phone.

This suspect was described as an African American adult male of medium build wearing blue medical scrubs and a Lakers jacket over a dark blue sweatshirt. He looked to be about 20 years old.

The third incident was a home invasion on Barrett Road committed by a suspect matching the description of the previous two robberies, along with an accomplice described as a Hispanic adult male, also about 20 years old, wearing a red beanie. The suspects knocked on the door and were let into the house after pointing a gun at the individual who answered the door. After taking multiple cell phones, wallets and a computer, they fled the scene on foot.

At around 1 a.m., two suspects matching the previous descriptions forced entry into an apartment on Canyon Crest Drive — again by pointing a gun at occupants — took property from each resident and guest, and fled. One victim was kicked in the face for not cooperating.

A total of nine victims were involved in the home invasions, and all but one female occupant had property stolen. All victims but the first were UCR students, and neither suspect has been apprehended. The incidents were reported seven to 15 minutes after each incident and are being investigated by the Riverside Police Department.