Cameron Yong/HIGHLANDER
Cameron Yong/HIGHLANDER

Indie-rock band Sea Monkeys are back at it with their most recent project, “PM.” With their newest release, we watch the group dive into new waters as they experiment with doo-wop and pop sounds that will surely make you want to hit the beach with some friends. One of the album’s strong points is its catchy and water-lovin’ lyrics. While perhaps a lot to take in for dedicated listeners of the band, this album will undoubtedly win the group some new fans and prove to everyone that they have what it takes to successfully switch up their alternative rock sound with bubblegum pop and still make good music.

There isn’t a single dry song on this album. Their track “Seaside” incorporates a catchy guitar melody with bright vocal harmonies. With lyrics like “I’m not sure if I should show you what I’ve found / Has it gone for good? / Or is it coming back around? / Isn’t it hard to make up your mind? / When you’re losing and your fuse is seaside,” listeners can almost feel the pain of lead singer Alex Turner as he tries to let go of a dying relationship. In “Why’d You Only Call Me When You’re Drunk?” Turner is guilty of only contacting his lover when he’s drunk. In my opinion, it’s good that he calls her whenever he’s crazy drunk. He probably needs to be instructed to drink some water to sober up and let’s be honest, you can never have too much of some good ol’ H2O.

During their song “Ocean Sounds” they express their love for the deep blue sea with lyrics like, “Ocean sounds in your ears, they make you feel alright / They bring you back to life / Ocean sounds in your ears, they make you get up and dance / They make you get up / Yeah they make you get up.” The group substitutes shrieking guitar melodies for a much softer sound and it pays off well. The sounds of waves are embedded into the track and help to successfully transport listeners into the open ocean.

Sea Monkeys continue with lyrics like “From the bottom of the sea / The abyssopelagic zone / I saw this coming from the start / The shake, rattle and roll / The cracks in the tectonic plates,” in “One for the Boat.” Now hear me when I say this: They really hit the nail on the head here. The band manages to incorporate a science lesson on all things water while simultaneously creating a catchy tune. Can it really get any better?

The album takes a dark turn with the moody track “Do I Wanna Drown?” We can all admit we love us some water, right? But if there is an overboard, this is it, with lyrics like: “I don’t want color in my cheeks / Do you ever get the feeling that you can’t shift the tide / That sticks around like something’s in your teeth.” We understand and admire the Sea Monkeys’ love of water but let’s use our brains and not take things too far.

Sea Monkeys did an excellent job of taking their artistry one step further by adopting a “beach sound” and proceeding to make great music. Let’s hope they continue giving listeners the opportunity to indulge in their love of the sea and producing noteworthy albums.