Janelle Soto/HIGHLANDER
Janelle Soto/HIGHLANDER

April 28, 2015

Rebels 5 – Highlanders 4

The UC Riverside baseball team continued an underwhelming first season under Head Coach Troy Percival with a 5-4 loss to the UNLV Rebels on Tuesday afternoon.

Highlander pitcher Jesus Gonzales dominated the mound, not allowing a runner in scoring position in his six innings of work.

With Gonzales holding down the pitching fort, UCR piled on two runs in the second and fifth innings to lead entering the seventh inning.

In that frame, Gonzalez was replaced by Jared Morton, but the pitching momentum shift began to take place. Morton gave up a single to Dylan Ellis before Morgan Stotts’ single darted through center field, scoring Van Meetren, 1-2. UNLV’s A.J. Meetren blasted a 2-1 count into right field for a three-run score, 2-4.

The UCR offense tied up the game in the eighth inning and pushed the contest to extra innings, but UNLV completed its late-game comeback, scoring a final run in the ninth, 5-4.

May 1, 2015

Titans 9 – Highlanders 0

The NCAA tournament-bound Cal State Fullerton Titans shut out the UCR baseball club, pounding out 15 hits in a 9-0 thrashing at the UCR baseball complex. Five Titan players recorded multi-hit games while pitcher Thomas Eshelman dominated the mound for seven scoreless innings.

Heading into the contest, CSUF boasted the 35th-best Rating Percentage Index (RPI) in the nation due in large part to the starting pitching. Eshelman scattered four hits and seven strikeouts in his seven innings while recording no hits.

With over 400 fans in the stadium, the Titans scored early and often as the Highlander offense struggled to get a hit off of Eshelman. UCR tallied just four hits for the contest as CSUF was never threatened en route to a 9-0 win.

May 2, 2015

Titans 19 – Highlanders 0

The Highlanders continued to be outmatched by the Cal State Fullerton Titans, losing the second game of the series in a 19-0 shutout.

The Titans tallied a season-high 25 hits for the contest compared to UCR’s five. Titan pitcher Justin Garza allowed the Highlanders a mere three hits in six innings of work.

Fullerton’s 19 runs are the most UCR has allowed in a game this season.

May 3, 2015

Titans 7 – Highlanders 4

The Highlanders made a late-inning surge in their final game against Cal State Fullerton on Sunday afternoon but still fell short of a win, losing 7-4.

For the first time in the weekend series, the Highlanders were finally able to connect against Titan pitchers. The team tallied 12 hits for the contest, which was more than the two previous games combined.

The Titans, however, were the first team to get on the board, tallying three runs in the opening inning followed by an additional pair at the top of the third.

In the bottom of the inning, UC Riverside had an opportunity to score with a runner on third base, but Austin Colvin grounded out the following play.

The Titans added insurance runs in the fourth inning, and despite UCR scoring three runs late in the game, Cal State Fullerton came away with the win, 7-4.

UCR (13-32) next hosts Hawaii beginning on Thursday, May 7.