2014-2015 Graduating Staff
Colin Markovich Vincent Ta/HIGHLANDER
Colin Markovich

Colin Markovich, Editor-in-Chief

I’ve been with the Highlander for three years, almost exactly. During that time, I’ve written more articles than a hydra has heads, learned amazing things about UCR and the very cool people living and working here, cried, taught myself to like coffee, made lifelong friends, stayed up past midnight too many times and cried some more. I wouldn’t trade these memories for anything else in the world. My experience as editor-in-chief has been a great one. I am grateful for sharing these years with so many other people. I am proud of everything we have accomplished together. And I am happy to hand off the torch to fresh faces who I know will continue the proud tradition of the Highlander: Keeping the campus community informed, entertained and enlightened. Thank you to the Highlander staff and our readership, who made and continue to make all of this possible. See you later, crocodile.

.

.

.

Jake Rich Vincent Ta/HIGHLANDER
Jake Rich

Jake Rich, Managing Editor

There’s no way I could fit all my sentiment for all the people here who have become a second family to me since I came here my freshman year. I’ve met friends here who I will treasure for the rest of my life. I’ve never had to worry about a place to go or someone to talk or vent to because of the good people of HUB 101. This is a place that has allowed to me to fail, succeed and grow as I tried on different sides of newspaper production on for size. It’s time for the new staff to find all the exciting possibilities that student journalism brings — and for the sheer fun of discovery, I wish I could be in their shoes. I will miss this place more than I can say, but am thankful for every amazing opportunity it has afforded me and every relationship I have gained. I’m also excited for new endeavors. I wish all of next year’s staff best of luck and am so excited to see what great stories you can tell. Thank you to everyone who ever read one of my articles. In “The Office,” finale, Andy says “I wish there was a way to know you’re in the good old days before you’ve actually left them.” I’m happy to know that I spent some of the best of those days here. Adios, Riverside.

Sandy Van Vincent Ta/HIGHLANDER
Sandy Van

Sandy Van, News Editor

Farewell UCR, it’s been real. Shoutout to the Highlander family of three and a half years for tolerating me with all of their hearts. Good vibes are being sent to all of you new rugrats; don’t fuck up! Can’t wait to see what’s in store for our campus newspaper and I believe in you all. Just keep learning, growing and creating every chance that you get — that’s the only way you’ll succeed.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Amy Zahn Vincent Ta/HIGHLANDER
Amy Zahn

Amy Zahn, Assistant News Editor

Even though I haven’t been here for very long, the Highlander has become such an important part of who I am and what I do. And, as sad as it makes me to have to say goodbye to the Highlander family, I know that next year’s staff will move the paper forward in amazing ways. I know I’ll take what I’ve learned here far beyond the walls of UCR, and I’ll definitely continue to read the Highlander as I start my new life as an unemployed journalist.

.

.

..

.

.

. 

Jameson Adame Vincent Ta/HIGHLANDER
Jameson Adame

Jameson Adame, Opinions Editor

Wait, what are we supposed to be writing here? What do you mean I’m leaving? You’re replacing me? You sons of bitches! I’ll see all of you without jobs for the rest of your lives! Don’t tell me to calm down Colin; you just told me that I lost my job! Who the hell is Jessica Baker? Quinn Minten? She gets an assistant? I’m done with this place! Fuck all of you!

.

.

.

.

.

.

Darren Bueno Vincent Ta/HIGHLANDER
Darren Bueno

Darren Bueno, Sports Editor

The first time I walked into the office, I was petrified and eventually left without talking to anyone. Fast forward a few months later, I returned with the courage to participate and that’s a decision I’ll always cherish. Looking back at my time here at UCR, the Highlander has been like a second home. The memories are endless. From Whoopi Fridays to Big Bear, and everything in between, I’ve been blessed by the amount of opportunities to work and bond with a special group of people that turned into lifelong friends. As I venture into this terribly frightening thing called adulthood, I know I’ll always have HUB 101 in my corner. Sports club for life, y’all!

.

.

.

.

James Fierro Vincent Ta/HIGHLANDER
James Fierro

James Fierro, Video Editor

I don’t say goodbye.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

..

Oscar Ho Vincent Ta/HIGHLANDER
Oscar Ho

Oscar Ho, Distribution Manager

It’s been a crazy time and I’ve been here ever since my first year, which was roughly three years now. I’ve had my hand in almost every aspect of the Highlander, even though I have never been a full fledged editor, I have had many articles published. I distinctly remember first being hired as a graphic designer and then quickly ascending to Production Assistant and then onto my other positions to where I am now. I have seen three different transitions of Editors-in-Chief, and seeing the newspaper’s layout change and evolve. I can’t imagine being at UCR without the Highlander and I can’t remember a time I was here without the Highlander. The people I have met here and the learned experiences by working here have been quite intriguing, but helpful for my future endeavors. As my time here at UCR comes to a close soon, however I am not actually graduating this spring, I will take these experiences and knowledge to aid my future career. A career of standing on Hollywood Blvd, being a weirdo, and forcing people to buy my DVDs, in hopes of a brighter future in the film industry, working as a Production Assistant, fetching coffee for the stars. That is my dream. Yes.

Estefania Zavala Vincent Ta/HIGHLANDER
Estefania Zavala

Estefania Zavala, Assistant News Editor

I was only at the Highlander for a brief time but it totally absorbed my life, not unlike a gigantic octopus trying to strangle me. In the midst of this tentacle hold, I tried to figure out what drove everyone to work so hard on the newspaper — to put so much research into the news stories, so much thought in the opinions stories and so much innovation into the design. I came to the conclusion that they are all deluded wackos, high on caffeine and bags of chilli cheese Fritos they found under their desk. I am honored to have been a deluded wacko here.

.

.

.

.

.

..

Maxine Arellano Vincent Ta/HIGHLANDER
Maxine Arellano

Maxine Arellano, Features Editor

Some spend their Sundays studying, sleeping or cramming from the weekend procrastination. We, however, scarf cookies over our laptops, lay out pages with people screaming overhead and ‘H’ the article we stared at it for a day and a half (seriously, that is what we are doing right now). When I think back to my first article I wrote for the Highlander over two years ago, I would have never thought that this was how I would have spent my college career … and I wouldn’t have changed a thing. From the people I have met to the places I have been, no words can describe the opportunities the Highlander has given me. But nothing can compared to the people I worked with and can call family. I leave here with a caffeine addiction and sleep deprivation, but all was worth the memories that were made. Shalom and goodbye.

Brandy Coats Vincent Ta/HIGHLANDER
Brandy Coats

Brandy Coats, Production Manager

I’ll never think of my college experience without the Highlander. I thought I knew journalism out of high school but I had no clue. I can barely remember being a new-hire PA, asking for help with InDesign. Yet, I’ll never forget laying out a page while watching the sunrise in the window. And that 5 a.m. truck. Since then it’s been Kidz Bop, midnight food runs, Big Bear, “Ya Fawtha,” Baby $eth Money, “Byeeee,” drinking more coffee than a human should, people drooling in their sleep, the many dragons, weekly insanity, careless whispers, total eclipses of the heart, meeting Ginuwine, getting to see Philly and NYC. Thanks for all the friendships, memories, and opportunities. (Enjoy that Oxford comma.) Unless you’ve been part of it, you’ll never know the little world that exists in HUB 101. ♥