Wendy Montero/HIGHLANDER

UCR women’s tennis continued its campaign with fixtures against Loyola Marymount and Big West Conference rival Cal State Northridge. The Highlanders were unable to beat either of their rivals as both Lions and Matadors proved to be too much. LMU defeated the Highlanders 6-1 on Thursday, while on Saturday the Highlanders were swept by CSUN 7-0.

Feb. 23, 2012
Lions 6 –  Highlanders 1

UCR’s Taylor Raney and Jamie Raney kicked off the action with a victory at court No. 1 against LMU’s Elisaveta Pironkova and Reka Rohonyi. UCR’s pair controlled the game well, putting the pressure early on LMU. The Highlanders dominated the court by hitting deep forehands which LMU was unable to defend. The final result for the opening match was 8-4. However, UCR couldn’t finish the job to score the doubles point. Highlanders Kat Saltarelli and Natalie McKay were beaten at court No. 2 by LMU’s Claudia Razzeto and Miya Jin 8-2, while at court No. 3 LMU’s Ashley Anderson and Tory Parravi swept UCR’s Courtney Pattugalan and Kate Bergeson 8-1 to score the doubles point in favor of the Lions.

In singles action, the Lions completely dominated the Highlanders. UCR’s Taylor Raney and Jamie Raney were defeated by LMU’s Tory Parravi and April Bisharat 7-6, 6-1 and 6-2, 6-4 respectively. The Lions scored four consecutive points with victories in courts No. 1, 2 and 3 along with the doubles point, with those results the Highlanders lost all hope for a victory. The lone point for the Highlanders was scored by Natalie McKay after an impressive match, where she showed her quality against LMU’s Miya Jin 6-3, 6-3.

Feb. 25, 2012
Matadors 7 – Highlanders 0

The women’s tennis team hit the road for its second match of the week. CSUN hosted the Highlanders in a match where UCR never had a real chance to win. In doubles action, UCR lost all three matches as the Matadors demonstrated their ability on the court; the Highlanders fought hard but CSUN tipped UCR by one game. At court No. 1 UCR’s Taylor Raney and Jamie Raney lost in a close match against CSUN’s Jennifer Sher and Sabrina Man-Son-Hing 9-7. The Matadors started in flying fashion, winning the first two games but the Highlanders came back and tied it. Yet it was CSUN’s pair who hit the decisive points of the match to claim the victory. At court No. 2 CSUN’s Nigora Sirojiddinova and Anna Yang defeated UCR’s Kat Saltarelli and Natalie McKay 9-7 in a tight match where the Highlanders dropped the game in the final moments. With that victory the Matadors scored the doubles point.

In singles action, UCR was swept in all aspects and in every game. CSUN proved its quality and superior tennis on the court by beating UCR in all six games. Highlanders Taylor Raney and Jamie Raney were defeated by Matadors Sabrina Man-Son-Hing and Jennifer Sher 6-0, 6-0 and 6-3, 6-3 respectively. UCR couldn’t do much and were unable to even score a point.

Next for the Highlanders is a visit to CSU Bakersfield on March 3.