Jaspery Goh/HIGHLANDER
Jaspery Goh/HIGHLANDER

October 16, 2015

Highlanders 1 – Gauchos 3

The UC Riverside volleyball team lost a faceoff on the road against UC Santa Barbara on Friday, 3-1.

To start the match, UCR took control and powered their way through the early set. It started with a close 6-4 lead over USCB, and then a 10-5 lead, followed by a 13-6 score and then finally a 25-15 win. The Highlanders only had four errors in the first compared to UCSB’s 10.

In the second set, UCR jumped out to a solid 8-4 lead, however, the Gauchos scored three in a row to cut the lead to one. There were several ties in this set, 13-13, 14-14, 16-16, 19-19, and then 20-20. Both teams fought each other off but UCSB would take the second set, with a final score of 25-20.

UCR would slow down in the third set, after leading early in the first two. They were behind for the entire duration of the third set. The Highlanders came back from a nine-point deficit, scoring six in a row, bringing it to 16-19. Unfortunately, the Gauchos would take the set, 18-25.

The fourth and final set was more evenly matched. UCSB took three points early in the set, and eventually took a 10-point, 17-7 lead. The Highlanders showed their audacity by scoring six in a row bringing the game within three, but the Gauchos would end up scoring 25 and win the set.

The individual highlight for the Highlanders was Helena Peric, who lead both teams 14 kills, edging out UCSB’s Phoebe Grunt who recorded 13.

After the loss, UCR currently has a 6-12 overall record and is 1-4 in conference. This is a huge improvement from last year’s 2-26 overall and 0-16 conference record, yet their recent seven-game skid is quite concerning.

In the Big West conference, Hawai’i currently leads the league with seven wins and zero losses. UCR, meanwhile, sits in seventh place, with the same conference record as UCSB. UCR is two spots ahead of Cal State Fullerton who have lost all five of their conference games this year.

The Highlanders have their next match back home against UC Davis on Friday, October 23 at 7 p.m.