Jimmy Lai/HIGHLANDER
Jimmy Lai/HIGHLANDER

October 14, 2015

Highlanders 0 – Anteaters 1

The UC Riverside men’s soccer team was on the road again this week, and this time they were up against Big West foe and fellow southern California rival, UC Irvine as the blue and gold looked to end their two-game skid.

Through the first half the Highlanders showed admirable effort, barely trailing the Anteaters in shots on goal, seven to nine. But when the half came to an end, neither team had scored, and the Highlanders’ chances to end the two-game skid were in their sights.

This hope was dashed after two minutes into the second half, when UCR goalkeeper Ashkan Khosravi was given a red card and sent off. Subsequently, the Highlanders were forced to play with 10 men for the remaining 43 minutes of the game.

In the second half the Anteaters dominated the box score, with 11 shots on goal to the Highlanders’ three. And in the 83rd minute, the Anteaters finally found the back of the net with a goal from Jamie Phillips who beat the Highlander defense for the only score of the contest.

October 17, 2015

Highlanders 0 – Matadors 1

The UC Riverside men’s soccer team was once again on the road for the fourth straight game this past Saturday, and despite a hard fought battle, the team dropped their fourth straight. This time to the Cal State Northridge Matadors, who, despite their mascot’s reputation, let very little slip past them over the course of the game.

Early on, the Highlanders looked quite motivated after Wednesday’s crushing loss, taking the first seven of the match’s eight first-half shots as well as winning the corner kick battle four to zero. Yet despite their aggressive play, only two of the Highlanders’ shots were on goal and CSUN goalkeeper Adam Hobbs turned both away.

The second half was more of the same as the Highlanders once again led the shots on goal column, eight to three. This effort once again fell flat, though, as in the 67th minute CSUN’s leading goal score, Carlos Gonzales, found the back of the net for his fifth goal of the season, putting the score at 1-0, Matadors. The Highlanders will look to get their second win in conference and their sixth on the year, when they take on UC Irvine at home this Wednesday at 7 p.m.