Silkea Islam/HIGHLANDER
Silkea Islam/HIGHLANDER

Going to SeaWorld has always been a treat for children and adults across America. For me, the best part of each trip was getting to see America’s favorite killer whale: Shamu. However, just like any other entertainment company, they had us distracted by all the amazing acts, in this case by Shamu, and we failed to see the cruelty behind what it took to keep us visitors happy. It is sad to say that I, along with thousands of Americans, was blinded by SeaWorld’s theatrics.

The 2013 documentary, “Blackfish,” changed America’s perception of SeaWorld. It exposed a dark side to the theme park as it raised awareness of animal captivity and unveiled the psychological and behavioral agony that captive orcas endure. Since then, they’ve decided to eliminate the orca show, and replace it with a new one that claims to be less theatrical. It will no longer include giant killer whales performing various tricks, such as jumping over obstacles or having them splash their visitors. Although the banning of their orca show seems like a step in the right direction, holding them captive for a new show portraying more “natural whale behavior” is still inhumane.

SeaWorld claims that “Blackfish” had no effect on the sales of the company. However, CEO Joel Manby reported a $15.9 million dollar loss and a one-third decrease in attendance. He attributed the loss to bad weather and ticket prices. This raises suspicion as to why there is a need to implement a new and less cruel show. It is obvious that SeaWorld is suffering because “Blackfish” revealed the inhumanity that goes on off stage.

”Blackfish” was instrumental in raising awareness of the mistreatment of the orcas at SeaWorld, who are held captive at a young age and trained for entertainment purposes. The theme park is also guilty of breeding their orcas in order to keep the longevity of the show going. According to the animal-care website, “The Dodo,” captive orcas exhibit several behavioral abnormalities that are rare or absent in the wild and symptomatic of psychological stress and trauma, which is one reason why the killer whale Tilikum killed SeaWorld trainer Dawn Brancheau back in 2010.

Captive orcas deal with issues such as, “hyper-aggression toward other whales, swimming in a stereotyped manner, maternal rejection of newborns, self-injurious behaviors such as breaking the teeth on hard surfaces, and serious and lethal aggression toward humans.” Not much has been said about the new show, except that it will have a “strong conservation message,” which doesn’t make much sense. SeaWorld clearly lacks respect toward its wildlife as it breeds and imprisons killer whales, yet they still have the audacity to advertise a show in order to spread a message on “conservation.”

What’s even more outrageous is hearing that SeaWorld hopes to get $100 million to expand its killer whale tank, according to the Denver Post. The California Coast Commission plans to endorse SeaWorld contingent on the discontinuation of breeding orcas. SeaWorld has decided to challenge that condition which goes to show what little they are doing to improve their actions.

Lastly, it is important to note that this announcement only pertains to the SeaWorld in San Diego. This decision has no impact on the parks in Orlando and Texas. SeaWorld has faced a lot of pressure from animal rights groups as well as common visitors to ban the orca show, so it’s safe to say that they are giving in to what people want, but it isn’t enough to have one theme park close the old show down in the same way that it isn’t enough to create a new show with fewer tricks. This more “natural” show still requires SeaWorld to keep their orcas trained and imprisoned. This spin is a ploy to appease activists groups and is a last attempt to improve sales. If all goes well with San Diego, I’m sure we can expect to see Texas and Orlando making the switch.

SeaWorld claims that it will be replacing its theatrical killer whale show void of any tricks for a performance with a “new orca experience.” But when you take into account their urge to expand their killer whale tanks and continue breeding their orcas, it’s hard to believe that they’re actually concerned about issues of animal cruelty and mistreatment. It is clear that this is just a PR stunt aimed to save SeaWorld’s dying profits and cruel image.