November 16, 2015

Highlanders 85 – Aztecs 68

Monday nights got a bit more exciting for the UC Riverside women’s basketball team. On November 16, the Highlanders took on the San Diego State Aztecs in their first away game of the season. Entering the game with one win and zero losses to their name, the women were anxious for another victory and it showed early. With a 13-7 lead to open the first quarter.

That lead later ballooned into a 25-13 advantage to end the opening frame, with Highlanders Annelise Ito (9), Brittany Crain (7) and Réjane Verin (6) managing to outscore the Aztecs on their own. In the second quarter, UCR went on a 10-0 run and were 21 points ahead of SDSU. However, the Aztecs amplified their defensive pressure and attacked offensively to help even out their score. Nevertheless, by the end of the second quarter the Highlanders kept the game in their favor, 46-27.

San Diego State pushed forward and applied pressure during the beginning of the third quarter. Then with only three minutes left in the third quarter and leading 59-41, the Highlanders made an 8-0 run to push the margin to 26. Once again, UC Riverside got 16 points in the quarter with the help of Crain, Verin and Ito. The Highlanders entered the fourth quarter leading 69-43. However, UC Riverside pushed their lead to as much as 28 points and won their second game of the season and ended the game with a final score 85-68.

November 20, 2015

Golden Bears 64 – Highlanders 58  

After Monday night’s win over the San Diego State Aztecs, the Highlanders headed up north on Friday hoping a second victory would come at the hands of #21 UC Berkeley.

The Highlanders and Bears shot under 30 percent from the field in the opening period. UC Riverside pushed Cal into five opening period turnovers, and by the end of the first quarter UCR led 12-11. During the second quarter of the game, the Highlanders had a 10-4 run gaining a seven point advantage, 23-16. Cal’s offensive took no mercy and made the score, 25-23 a few minutes later. However, the Highlanders Brittany Crain made a three from the left wing and Annelise Ito soon made it 30-23. By the half, the Highlanders led 32-30 but were still faced with two more tough quarters versus the Bears.

The third quarter saw lead changes from the 37, 39, 44 and 46. However, when the score was tied 46-46, Cal got back-to-back threes from Mikayla Cowling and Asha Thomas. At the end of the third, Cal was winning 52-46.The Bears took advantage of their lead and of the Highlanders’ lack of points over the final 2:28 of the game. UC Riverside soon closed the gap on the Bears, coming with just two points with seconds left in the game but the Highlanders were unable to regain the lead.

Cal’s Mikayla Cowling and Courtney Range scored the final four points of the game and helped the team win 64-58 against the Highlanders. The UCR women’s basketball team continues its strong start of the season with a score of 2-1 after playing against a top 25 team. The Highlanders will face Oregon State on Sunday, November 22 in a 2 p.m. tip-off.