Courtesy of Lionsgate Films
Courtesy of Lionsgate Films

The all-star cast of “Dirty Grandpa,” including Zac Efron and Robert De Niro, is sadly this film’s only silver lining. Aside from the A-list actors, the movie only succeeds in making cringe-worthy and tasteless jokes that leaves one feeling confused as to how it went into production.

Now don’t get me wrong, I love myself a good rib-busting, neighbors-side-eying-me epic comedy, and was so hoping “Dirty Grandpa” would compare to the likes of “American Pie” or “The Hangover.” I was pumped watching the trailer because of the promise of another raunchy comedy I could re-watch whenever I need a pick-me-up. But this movie falls short of both actors’ past works.

The shoddy plot consists of high-strung lawyer Jason (Zac Efron) being coerced into taking his newly widowed grandfather, Dick (Robert De Niro), to Florida. Given the telling title, it comes as no surprise that the trip is debauchery poorly disguised as an intervention for uptight Jason. The movie lags on under the premise that the ridiculous overuse of explicit language and downright offensive jokes offer any hope of creating laughs among the audience.
If you need a crash course on how not to be funny, “Dirty Grandpa” has got you covered. But if you’re not feeling particularly masochistic, don’t waste the time or the money, because with a plot that borders on nonsensical, and jokes that are only funny within the first half hour, “Dirty Grandpa” is an early contender to be one of 2016’s worst comedies.

Rating: 1/5 Stars