sports.womenstennis.mh

The UCR women’s tennis team lost both matches on Saturday, March 4 against Villanova and UC Davis. Against Villanova, the women put up a respectable match, ultimately losing by one set, with the score resting at 4-3. The girls split the singles matches against Villanova, but failed to gain one victory in the doubles sets to win them the match. Highlander Chloe Pham opened up the match with a 6-1 victory against Smith.

Both teams would go on to trade off victories: where Villanova won a set, the Highlanders would win the next. The most tense game of the entire match ran for a total of three sets, with Highlander Caroline Hall defeating Evans 6-4, 4-6, 10-6. The line between victory and defeat hinged on the final doubles game, and Villanova clinched the win, with Victoria Martinez and Sydney King gaining a 6-2 blowout victory over Highlanders Kassie Truong and Arabella Valera.

After a hard-fought battle against Villanova, the Highlanders played a second match on that day against UC Davis. The match against Davis, which had been moved up from Sunday to Saturday evening, was not as close and resulted in a 7-0 loss for the Highlanders. The Highlanders, who were playing their second match of the day were not able to muster enough energy against UC Davis.

Catch the women’s tennis team this Thursday, March 10 at home against Utah State at 2:30 p.m. at the Student Recreation Center.