springSome of the greats will be gracing us once again in the form of holograms for UC Riverside’s 2016 Spring Splash concert. After the loss of one of UCR’s biggest music events, Heat, ASPB decided that they needed to take it up a notch to compensate for the devastation that swept the campus; ladies and gentlemen, I think it’s safe to say that they’ve succeeded. Essentially returning from the grave for the joy and entertainment of UCR students will be Selena, Tupac, Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson.

In addition to the unmatched talent these artists will bring, students will have the opportunity to indulge in various attractions including the well-known ferris wheel and even a holographic beer garden! (Almost like the real thing, folks.) This year’s Spring Splash will definitely not be one to miss so without further ado, let’s learn more about the legends who will be resurfacing in May.

Selena:

Selena was a queen. There is no denying it. Some of us weren’t even born when Selena passed away, and at the age of 23, the Mexican-American songstress left us far too soon. Luckily UCR will now have the opportunity to get a glimpse of what made her so great. Hits like “Bidi Bidi Bom Bom” and “I Could Fall in Love” gave her worldwide fame and now we’ll get to experience what it’s like to see her bring these songs to life.

Tupac:l 

Tupac was (and still is) arguably the best rapper to ever enter the game. His artistry was unique and always changing, and he diversified himself well enough to be loved by the masses. His bars were pure poetry. I can’t be the only one disappointed that we’ll never be able to hear new music from this gamechanger, let alone be able to see him live. No need to fear UCR. We’ve got the next best thing: his hologram.

Whitney Houston:

I’m still not sure that anyone can challenge Whitney Houston’s vocals. She did ballads like no other and her range was otherworldly. I’d sell my organs on the black market just to hear her sing “I Will Always Love You” in the flesh. You just don’t find the kind of talent that she brought to the table nowadays. I can almost guarantee you that any vocalist making music today has been influenced by Houston and we’re lucky that here at UCR we’re going to have the chance to pretty much see her live.

Michael Jackson:

Do I really need to say anything? I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who doesn’t like Michael Jackson. The king of pop is still referred to as the greatest entertainer of all time and there are legitimate reasons as to why this is so. The man gave his all to every dance and song he ever performed. The fact that we will never have the opportunity to see him perform live ever again is a heartbreaking reality. But just imagine seeing his hologram. I can’t even sit still thinking about all of the dancing I’m going to be doing when he performs songs like “Billie Jean” and “Bad.”
Spring Splash 2016 is going to be one for the books so make sure you and all of your friends get tickets. If you miss these stars at this festive gathering, you’ll never have the chance to enjoy their music live — well, kind of live — ever again. Don’t sleep on this one Highlanders!

*This article is a part of the Highlander’s annual April Fool’s Edition. Nothing within this issue is factual.*