Women’s golf takes third at Wyoming Desert Invitational

sports-golfwomen-ucrathletics

Courtesy of UCR Athletics

After hitting a bump in the second round, the women’s golf team capped off a trip to Palm Desert with a third-place finish on the Classic Club Course in the Wyoming Desert Invitational. Senior Yuri Ahn led the way for the Highlanders with a sixth-place finish. While her seven-over-par in the first round was cut from the overall team score, Ahn’s immaculate three-under-par in the second round kept the Highlanders afloat and ended as the second best individual score in the tournament. Only one other person recorded a better score below Ahn’s second round — first-place finisher Annie Freman of Santa Clara University — who was a hair better at four-under par in the second round. The next best score for the Highlanders in that round was four-over-par.

Finishing second for the Highlanders was sophomore Hannah Facchini. While her second round at eight-above-par was cut, her first and third round scores of one-under-par were critical in the team’s solid finish. Following her in the pack was sophomore Jakeishya Le, who is trying to build off a Co-Big West Freshman of the Year campaign that also landed her a First-Team All-Conference bid. She recorded a par in the first round, followed by four-over-par in the second round and three-over-par in the third. Sophomore Hana Furuichi was the fourth finisher for the Highlanders, who recorded a three-over-par in the first round, six-over-par in the second and three-over-par again in the third. Paris Griffith rounded out UCR’s A-team with scores of three-over-par, seven-over-par and three-over-par in her three rounds.

The Highlanders’ B-Team came in 10th place in the tournament, headed by junior Julia Sander, who finished in 36th individually with an opening score of four-over-par. Like most of both teams, Sander struggled in the second round, logging an 11-over-par second round which was omitted from the team score. She rebounded nicely in the final round, capping off the tournament with her best performance — a final round score of three-over-par. Next for the B-team was junior Krista Twet, who placed 39th in the individual ladder. Her first round score was six-over-par, but she too struggled in the second round with a score of 10-over-par. Like her teammate, Twet rebounded and logged a final round score of four-over par.

The next golfer for the B-team was freshman Hailey White who tied for 40th on the individual ladder and had her first round score of 10-over-par omitted from the team score. She was able to play the course easier the next two times around, landing an eight-over-par in the second round and three-over-par in the third. Haley Wian tied for 42nd on the individual ladder, following nine-over-par first round with an eight-over-par second and a five-over-par third. Finally, senior Tina Nagai finished tied for 50th due to struggles in the final round. She opened with a score of eight-over-par, and followed up with a second round score of five-over-par. However, she shot a final round score of 12-over-par, which was excluded from the team score.

Following the Ron Moore Invitational in Denver, Colorado from Friday, Oct. 7 to Sunday, Oct. 9, the women’s golf team will head to the Boulder Creek Golf Course in Las Vegas for the Las Vegas Collegiate Showdown from Sunday, Oct. 23 to Tuesday, Oct. 25.

Facebook Comments