On Wednesday, Dec. 21, 2016, UC Riverside’s Media and Cultural Studies (MCS) faculty and staff announced the passing of MCS Dept. Lecturer Mark Bundy. Bundy, who joined UCR as a Ph.D. student after earning his Bachelor of Arts in English and Master of Arts in English with an emphasis on 20th Century American and British literature at California State University, Fullerton, was beloved by students, staff and department faculty.

In a campus-wide email sent Wednesday, Jan. 4, College of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences Dean Milagros Pena acknowledged Bundy as “a valued and essential part of the MCS Department for several years.”

“Mark Bundy’s sincerity and generosity toward our students was exceptional. He taught with passion and enthusiasm,” said MCS Associate Professor Setsu Shigematsu in a statement. “Many of our students were very fortunate to have had Mark as a teacher and our department will miss him greatly.”

Since 2004, Bundy served as a lecturer for a range of courses in the MCS department with a particular focus on film, television and gender studies. Pena touted Bundy’s “energy and brilliance” and asked that the campus join in “remembering and celebrating Mark’s teaching, writing and work during this difficult time.”

“My MCS professor just passed away. He was a very empathetic person and cared for his classes. Rest easy Mark Bundy,” shared fourth-year MCS major Jacob Gonzalez on Twitter after hearing the news.

“Heartbroken over the passing of my favorite professor at UCR,” lamented Devin Morgan. “I had the pleasure of having him for 4 classes. He will be missed.”

Both of Bundy’s classes for the upcoming quarter will be covered by MCS faculty.