Archive/HIGHLANDER

Competing at the sixth-annual Wyoming Cowgirl Classic, the UC Riverside women’s golf team finished in 19th place out of 24 teams at striking Ocotillo Golf Resort in Chandler, AZ. The Highlanders moved up one spot in the standings thanks to an excellent third round after sitting in 20th place after the first two rounds of play. The lady Highlanders finished with a total score of 938, improving each round, as they shot 317 in Monday’s first round, 307 in Tuesday’s second round and 307 in Wednesday’s third and final round.

Christy Fogerty led the Highlanders in the final round as she shot one over par 73, placing her 69th overall with a total score of 235. However, it was Amelia Ek who paced the Highlanders throughout the tourney, as she shot at a remarkable consistent, scoring 76 in the first two rounds and improving to 75 in the third round. Ek would tally a total of 227, placing her 28th overall. One stroke behind Ek, Savannah Vilaubi shot a 228 (77-74-77) placing her in a tie for 32nd place. In 114th place, Brittani Ferraro (82-87-82) scored 251 total for the Highlanders, while Denyse Neville (88-84-86) placed in 120th with a total of 258.

Iowa took the team title home with a total score of 884, edging out second place Colorado State at 890. The individual winner of the Cowgirl Classic was Colorado State’s Brianna Espinoza who shot an impressive eight-under-par 208.

The Highlanders will next compete at the Big West Conference Championship on April 22-24 in San Luis Obispo, CA.