Archive/HIGHLANDER

April 28, 2012
49ers 10 – Highlanders 4

The UC Riverside softball team (20-25, 3-10) dropped the first game of a three game series against CSU Long Beach (21-22, 9-4) losing 10-4 Saturday afternoon. The Highlanders started the game well, as they got out to a four run lead in the first inning. With one out in the first, Highlander Jessica Vasser doubled toward the right field line scoring one run. A single straight down midfield by Dionne Anderson scored two runs as Ariel Shore and Vasser came to home plate. This gave the Highlanders a 3-0 lead. A Long Beach error resulted in one more run for the Highlanders as Anderson would score to give the Highlanders a commanding 4-0 lead.

Unfortunately the lead was short lived as Long Beach responded in the second inning by scoring seven runs. Highlander pitcher Casey Suda got into trouble quickly as she gave up three straight hits to open the inning. Long Beach would cut into Highlander lead by two runs, with the bases still loaded. A walk issued resulted in the Highlander lead to decimate to one run. 49er Hannah De Gaetano would give the 49ers the lead as she hit a base clearing double scoring three runs for her team and giving them a 6-4 lead over the Highlanders. Long Beach added an extra run as the Long Beach batting order started over, with the second inning ending with the 49ers holding a 7-4 lead.

In the third inning, the Long Beach onslaught continued as they would add two more runs to the board making it a 9-4 ball game. The Highlanders had no response for the rest of the game, as the 49ers added a run in the fifth, giving them a 10-4 lead which would end up being the final score.

April 28, 2012
49ers 1 – Highlanders 0

After a disappointing blow out loss in the first game of a double header, the Highlanders (20-26, 3-11) found themselves in a pitchers duel, falling to CSU Long Beach (22-22, 10-4) 1-0 Saturday night. The 49ers’ bats went extremely cold after a 10 run outburst in the first game, while the Highlanders still could not get their offense clicking. The pitching by both Highlander Taylor Alvarez and 49er Erin Jones-Wesley were strong, as both combined to only give up six hits between both teams.

In the fourth inning, Long Beach got onto the board as Hannah De Gaetano came through again for the 49ers with a solo blast to score the one and only run in the game.

The Highlanders could not provide any run support for starter Alvarez as they only managed to put four players on base. Long Beach would go on to winning the game 1-0, as pitcher Jones-Wesley picked up the win in the shutout.

April 29, 2012
49ers 6 – Highlanders 0

The Highlanders (20-27, 3-12) continued their struggles into the final game and were shutout 6-0 by the 49ers (23-22,11-4) on a Sunday afternoon. The Highlanders were jumped quickly by the 49er offense as they would score all six of their runs in the first two innings.

In the first inning, Long Beach got runners on base swiftly as Highlander pitcher Amy Lwin hit 49er Shayna Kimbrough with a pitch.  A Leilani Tapua-Tautal single and two sac flies later, the 49ers had a 1-0 lead. A 49er single by Nalani St. Germain brought in another run, giving them a 2-0 lead.

The second inning proved rough again for Highlander starter Lwin as she gave up two consecutive singles which led Coach Miner to replace Lwin with Taylor Alvarez in the circle. The 49ers would load the bases and score three runs thanks to the Highlander fielding problems as they recorded two back to back errors. Another single by 49er St. Germain brought in another run giving Long Beach a commanding 6-0 lead with only two innings played.

The Highlanders kept Long Beach off the board for the rest of the game but again, the Highlander offense went dead quiet as they only had two hits to show the whole game. 49er starter Erin Jones-Wesley picked up the win in another shutout as Long Beach completed sweeping the series with a 6-0 victory.

The Highlanders will return home to host Big West rival CSU Northridge for a three game series beginning with a doubleheader on May 5 and the final game on May 6 at the Amy S. Harrison Field.