Here at the Highlander, we get it: College is hard. With assignments, exams, lab reports and essays to manage, all while trying to maintain the semblance of a social life, it can be difficult to find time in between to get a decent meal, not to mention that most college students probably don’t have extensive cooking knowledge. That’s why today I am reviving the year-old recipe column for this week to bring you a dish that’s simple for anyone to make. I call it: The Anything Casserole.

So what exactly is the Anything Casserole? I hear you asking, and to answer that I say it’s just as the name implies. This is a dish with no specific ingredients, instead it’s simply whatever leftovers and spare components you can find in your fridge and cabinets all served together in one edible concoction. (Note: The Highlander is not liable for any diseases, food poisoning or psychological damage that may stem from following this recipe)

Ingredients
As stated early, there are no specific ingredients required for this dish, however since the point of this article is to offer healthy alternatives that means you should at least include one ingredient from every food group. A good example would be yogurt (dairy), chicken breast (protein), cantaloupe (fruit), broccoli (vegetable) and an entire loaf of wheat bread (grain).

Directions

1. Once you have gathered your ingredients, prepare a 15×10 casserole dish with non-stick spray.
  2. Pour all your ingredients into the dish, be sure to spread them evenly across to prevent any slice from containing too much of any one thing.
  3. Once the ingredients are in the dish be sure to use a potato masher to create a mush, if the mix clumps be sure to spread it evenly afterwards.
  4. Throw into the oven at 425 degrees, it’s okay if your fire alarm goes off at any point, it just means the dish is almost ready.
  5. Once smoke is pouring out of the oven, carefully pull out the dish and let it cool for 5-10 minutes, be aware that if you let it cool for too long it will probably become hard and inedible.

_________________________________________________________________________

Editor’s Note: This article is a part of The Highlander’s annual April Fool’s issue and it’s contents are not to be taken seriously whatsoever. But do have a good laugh.