The 2018 World Cup in Russia is still months away, and some teams are still being put together. However, that’s not stopping the Highlander from breaking down every group to give you a comprehensive overview leading up to the first kickoff.

Group D, Part I

Nigeria

FIFA Ranking: 50

World Cup Appearances: 5

First Appearance: 1994

Last Appearance: 2014

Best result: Round of 16, 1994, 1998, 2014

Coach: Gernot Rohr, German (2016-present). Previously coached Burkina Faso, (2015).

Players to watch:

Alex Iwobi

The 21-year-old striker played for the England national team in the U-16, U-17 and U-18 squad before making a one-time switch to the Green Eagles. Iwobi has played in England his whole career which has given him the experience to place himself in the Nigerian national team lineup. Although he isn’t a starter at Arsenal, Iwobi possesses the traits to lead the Eagles to a surprise run in Russia. The left winger can dribble down the left flank and place crosses into the box with ease. Although he is questioned for his consistency on the pitch, Iwobi undeniably has talent that he can display in the World Cup. This can earn him a move to a championship contending team or a spot on Arsenal’s starting lineup.

Victor Moses

Just like his compatriot, Alex Iwobi, Victor Moses had played for the England squad before making a permanent switch to the Nigerian team. A regular for Chelsea, Victor Moses is a strong, yet fast right winger who can score goals as well as place great crosses for forwards to finish on the box. Having played in the last World Cup in Brazil, Victor Moses has the experience to lead his team for generations to come. In what will probably be Captain John Obi Mikel’s last World Cup, Victor Moses must demonstrate he can be the leader Nigeria needs to be one of the surprise teams in Russia.

Potential lineup:  Enyeama- Idowu, Awaziem, Troost-Ekong, Ebuehi- Ndidi, Onazi, Obi- Iwobi, Musa, Moses

Formation: 4-3-3

Prediction: Group Stage elimination

Matches: Vs. Croatia, 6/16

Vs. Iceland, 6/22

Vs. Argentina, 6/26