Archive/HIGHLANDER

Highlander track and field athlete Jazmine Lewis placed eighth at the 2012 Big West Conference Track & Field Multi-Events Championship. Lewis took part in the heptathlon which was an intense two day event, finishing with a point total of 4,557. The previous year before at the 2011 Big West Championship, Lewis had 4,614 total points in the heptathlon, and finished in ninth place.

“[The heptathlon]  is a challenge because they compete in seven events in two days. It’s a very grueling competition and the athletes have to manage their fatigue levels and battle stiff competition each of the two days,” said Coach Browne.

In Friday’s events, Lewis competed in four events that day and finished in eighth place. In the 100m hurdles Lewis place seventh with a time of 15.11. In the high jump, Lewis placed seventh again with a jump of 1.56m. In the shot up, Lewis threw for a mark of 9.91m good for ninth place. To close out the day, Lewis ran a time of 26.92 in the 200m, landing in 11th.

In Saturday’s events, Lewis dropped to ninth place overall midpoint through the heptathlon. She had to run a near perfect strategy in the last event to upend CSU Northridge’s Jordan DuFault to regain her previous eighth place standing. The first event of the day was the long jump, where Lewis placed ninth with a jump of 5.09m. In the javelin, Lewis placed eighth with a throw of 33.02. The 800m dash was the last event of the day as Lewis had to hold off DuFault by seven seconds to regain eighth place overall. Lewis achieved her goal, running a time of 2:30.92 in the 800m, while DuFault ran a time of 2:40.62.

Lewis and the rest of the Highlander squad will compete at the 2012 Big West Conference Track & Field Championships scheduled on May 11-12 at UC Irvine.