Friday, Sept. 21

The UC Riverside’s women’s soccer team (4-4-2) hosted its second tournament of the 2012 season last weekend. The Highlanders first faced the New Mexico Lobos (5-4-1) in a 0-1 defeat. The five shots attempted at New Mexico’s goaltender Kelli Cornell were not enough to make a dent.
UCR allowed 16 total shots in the game and 10 of them came in the first period which eventually resulted in the Lobos’ only goal. The Lobos’ Rachel Montoya sunk a corner kick at the 22:51 mark. Lauren Irwin received the kick and passed it to Dylann O’Conner six yards out for an assist.
UCR Coach Nathaniel Gonzalez was asked about the tough loss on Friday, “We did not get enough attack out of our frontrunners. Defensively we were solid. They scored on a corner kick so our concentration level during free kicks needs to improve.”
Goaltender Jessica White played well with five saves in the match. UCR came out in the second period with more aggression but was still out shot 2-6 and committed seven fouls in the second period. For the Lobos, O’Conner had the best of the Highlanders as she fired four shots including the team’s only goal.
Coach Gonzalez was asked about the team’s motivation going forward against their next opponent, “My team’s motivation is that if we win Sunday then Friday’s loss is behind us. Playing two games so close to each other is good for motivation as you can erase Friday’s result very quickly.”

Sunday, Sept. 23

The UC Riverside women’s soccer team finished their tournament Sunday against the Lamar Cardinals. Riverside earned two goals in the first period to cruise to a 2-1 victory. The Highlanders successfully moved forward from Friday’s loss as they played an aggressive game and improved their record to 5-4-2.
UC Riverside scored at the five minute mark to take an early 1-0 lead. After a foul by Lamar, Highlander Shelley Brumbaugh found Andrea Luttio for an assist. Brumbaugh drove to the right corner and crossed it to Luttio right in front of goal for Luttio’s first goal of the season.
The Highlanders attempted three more shots before finally scoring at the 22:59 mark. Highlander Celina Valencia passed it to Amber Marani, who then chipped it over the defense to Crystal Lopez 12 yards out for her third goal of the season. Jessica White for the Highlanders has been playing well for the team. White has only allowed 15 goals this season, with an average of 1.29 goals per game and has 54 saves on the year for a saving average of .783.
Valencia is leading the squad in points, shots and shots on goal with eight, 27 and eight respectively. However, Valencia is tied with Lopez in goals with three and tied with Marani, Kaitlin Anzalone and Brumbaugh with two assists.
The Highlanders must look to attack early and try to score. This year Riverside is 0-4-1 if they do not score more than one goal. The Highlanders continue play Friday Sept. 28 against Long Beach State.