Last week I acknowledged our men’s and women’s cross country teams for their success and what they are capable this year and beyond. In this issue I feel it is important that we recognize our men’s and women’s soccer teams as they are on a great start to their seasons.

It is important as Highlanders that we come out to cheer on and support our teams. Both the men’s and women’s soccer teams have overcome adversity in recent years. In the 2009 season the men’s soccer team finished 1-16-1, including an 0-9-1 record in the Big West, and the team has been on an uphill climb since. In the 2009 season, Coach Junior Gonzalez anticipated a great season but four of his athletes were academically ineligible. This year, with a 7-1-0 mark in non-conference matches to start the 2012 season, the Highlanders have set the program record for non-conference wins in a season which was established a year ago.

The women’s soccer team had an overall record 8-9-2 and a Big West record of 3-4-1 last year and are three wins away from reaching that. Their record is currently 5-6-2 through 13 games, which is one win away from their 6-6-1 record at that point of the year. The women’s team has also been moving up. The 2010 season saw them winning only one game 1-14-3 and zero Big West Conference wins 0-7-1. Their last winning record was during 2006 season when the squad went 10-7-1.

The sky’s the limit for these two Highlander teams, so come down to the soccer stadium and support our soccer teams as they push for the Big West Conference playoffs.