Cameron Yong/HIGHLANDER
Cameron Yong/HIGHLANDER

Feb. 23, 2013
Highlanders 7 – Sea Lions 2

After losing the first six matches of their 2013 campaign, the UC Riverside women’s tennis team got the monkey off their backs and earned their first victory of the season when they defeated the Point Loma Nazarene Sea Lions, 7-2.

In doubles, Highlanders Jamie and Taylor Raney defeated Sea Lions Preethika Venugopal and Hope Penner 8-4. Natalie McKay and Courtney Pattugalan defeated Maika Adair and Kirsty Mountain by the same end result, 8-4. Finally, Kate Bergeson and Thanh Doan clinched the sweep for the Highlanders after they defeated Sharon Steinhaur and Wileen Chiu, 9-7.

At the number one spot in singles, Jamie Raney laid down the law on Maika Adair, defeating her 6-0, 6-3.

Taylor Raney was pitted against Hope Penner at the number two and had her hands full. She lost the first set 3-6, won the second set 6-3 and easily pulled off the tiebreaker win by a score of 6-1.

UCR McKay earned a 6-2, 6-3 victory against Sea Lion Venugopal at the three spot and her teammate Pattugalan defeated Wileen Chiu 6-2, 6-1 at the four.

UCR’s two losses in singles came at the fixtures five and six. Sea Lion Kirsty Mountain defeated Highlander Kate Bergeson in a hard-fought 7-5, 1-6 and 10-7 decision. Sharob Reibstein defeated UCR player Thanh Doan 6-1 and 6-0.

Next up for the women’s tennis team is a home match at Andulka Park against Nevada on March 1 at 1 p.m.