Tsung Su/HIGHLANDER
Tsung Su/HIGHLANDER

March 8, 2013
Jaguars 6 – Highlanders 5

UCR’s softball team lost to IUPUI 6-5 at the Mizuno Invitational after they gave up the winning run in the seventh inning to the Jaguars on Friday, March 8.

There was a 95-minute rain delay in the middle of the tournament. When the Highlanders returned to action, they surrendered 1 run in the top of the sixth to lose the lead and another run in the seventh inning to give the Jaguars the lead and eventually the game.

Left Fielder Ariel Shore had three hits for the Highlanders, while Kayla White and Alexis Pickett knocked in 2 runs each. Ali Mosier and Eryn Dillon led the Jaguars with 2 runs batted in a piece.

Alyssa Razo dominated the Jaguars to start the first inning, striking out three while giving up a double to Alicia Brewer. Razo would quiet the Jaguar bats through two more perfect innings of work.

Riverside scored first in the third inning, after being dominated by Jaguar starter Nikki Thomas through two innings. Highlander Nicolette Lujan doubled and later scored on an Alexis Pickett sacrifice fly.

An error by Dionne Anderson in right field allowed the Jaguars to plate two runs in the fourth inning, before they scored two more runs in the fifth on a Mosier single to left field, making the score 4-1.

Pickett singled home 1 run in the fifth, and then back-to-back home runs by White and Ashley Ercolano capped off a 4-run inning for the Highlanders, who stormed back to take a 5-4 lead.

A Megan Cory single in the sixth inning would tied the game for the Jaguars. The final inning Jaguar Dillon knocked home the final run of the game in the seventh inning on a long triple down the right field line.

The Highlanders were retired in order in the seventh inning for the 6-5 defeat.

March 10, 2013
Highlanders 5 – Bulls 1

The Riverside softball team scored in the first three innings for a 5-0 lead and never looked back as they went on to win 5-1 against the Buffalo Bulls.

Ashley Ercolano started for the Highlanders and had a complete game, going all seven innings. She allowed just 1 run on five hits and struck out one batter.

Riverside dominated the entire game with eight hits, 5 RBIs, one home run and a double. Ariel Shore went 1-3 with one run scored. Alexis Pickett was perfect as she batted 2-2 with 1 run scored and 1 RBI. Highlander Meagan Esteban was the only other perfect batter going 2-2 with 1 run scored and a stolen base. Kayla White smacked a home run for a 2-RBI game.

March 10, 2013
Highlanders 4 – Bulls 3

The Riverside softball team was able to complete the sweep against the Buffalo Bulls winning 4-3.

Alyssa Razo (6-6) started for Riverside and went the full seven innings for her sixth win of the season.  She allowed seven hits but only gave up 3 runs while striking out three batters.

Alexis Pickett and Dionne Anderson both homered going 2-3 with 2 RBIs and 1-3 with 1 RBI, respectively.