Rapper Macklemore, known for songs such as “Thrift Shop” and “Good Old Days,” recently released a new song entitled “HIND’S HALL.” Written and produced by Macklemore, the song opened with a beautiful guitar solo from Lebanese singer Fairuz’s “Ana La Habibi.” The title comes from Columbia pro-Palestine protesters who occupied Columbia’s Hamilton Hall and renamed it “Hind’s Hall” to honor Hind Rajab, a six-year-old Palestinian girl who was killed in Gaza by the Israeli military on Jan. 29, 2024.

Hind Rajab was fleeing Gaza in a car with her family when they were targeted by Israeli military forces. After her whole family was killed in the car, Rajab made a call to emergency services while trapped in the vehicle surrounded by Israeli military with her killed family. Pleading, her call to emergency services lasted three hours, until her last words, “I am scared, please come.” After her heartbreaking call, the Palestine Red Crescent Society (PRCS) sent two paramedics to the scene; unfortunately, Israeli forces destroyed the ambulance they were in, killing the paramedics.

Honoring Rajab, as well as the students protesting in solidarity with Palestine, Macklemore’s song features lyrics such as “What you willin’ to risk? What you willin’ to give? / What if you were in Gaza? What if those were your kids? / If the West was pretendin’ that you didn’t exist / You’d want the world to stand up and the students finally did.”

The video accompanying the song shows demonstrations from across the country in solidarity with Palestine and received over 112 million views within its first week of streaming.

Demonstrating the power of music to incite social change, in a world of silent celebrities Macklemore took a stand with his music. “HIND’S HALL” not only calls attention to the young people across America protesting against Israeli occupation, but it also ensures that Hind Rajab’s name will not be forgotten, instilling her in a long line of Palestinian martyrs who were killed by the occupying powers.

Columbia University students and students across America have been subjected to police violence and expulsion as a result of their pro-Palestine solidarity demonstrations. Students at Columbia who participated in their pro-Palestine encampments and demonstrations are facing expulsion as well as disproportionate amounts of violence from their own university. As a result of her actions against students, Columbia University President Minouche Shafik testified in Washington D.C. in front of the House Committee on Education and Workforce proving her administration’s crackdown on these protests has been unjustified.

“HIND’S HALL” features multiple callouts of those complicit in the violence that has ensued at the hands of Israel in Gaza, including figures such as President Joe Biden. Macklemore raps “The blood is on your hands Biden  we can see it all / And f*ck no I’m not voting for you in the fall.” Since Biden has declared his unwavering support for Israel, his approval rates have drastically dropped, with many, including Macklemore, pledging they will not vote for him come the Nov. 2024 elections.

Making reference to beef between rappers Kendrick Lamar and Drake, Macklemore also raps, “I want a ceasefire,  f*ck a response from Drake,” calling out the music industry as a whole that has largely been silent regarding the genocide happening in Gaza.

Macklemore raps, “What happened to the artist? What do you got to say? / If I was on a label, you could drop me today / And be fine with it cause the heart fed my page,” calling out labels who have threatened and dropped artists for speaking out in support of Palestinians and their resistance to occupation, for example, Palestinian artist Nemah Hasan, who was dropped from her label for her unwavering support of Palestine. With the release of “HIND’S HALL,” this song may serve as a much needed catalyst to inspire other celebrities and artists to show support for Palestine.

Censorship across social media platforms are at an all time high, Macklemore also raps, “You can ban TikTok, take us out the algorithm / But it’s too late / we’ve seen the truth / we bear witness.” Making evident the double standard in American media of who has the right to “right to defend” and “the right to resistance,” he fiercely spits to the beat: “We see the lies.”

With “HIND’S HALL” receiving massive support and praise from fans and musicians; Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine, a band known for their political commentary through music, tweeted out in support of Macklemore’s piece, stating “Honestly @macklemore’s ‘Hind’s Hall’ is the most Rage Against The Machine song since Rage Against The Machine.”

Since its inception, rap music has always been a form of resistance and rebellion against oppressive powers. Macklemore even cites “When I was seven I learned a lesson from Cube and Eazy-E / What was it again? Oh yeah, f*ck the police (woo)”

“Actors in badges protecting property / And a system that was designed by white supremacy (Brrt) / But the people are in the streets / You can pay off Meta, you can’t pay off me.” Referencing the N.W.A song “F*ck Tha Police” which calls out police brutality and violence specifically in regards to the Black community, who, for decades, has fallen victim to police violence and discrimination at the hand of the United States government and police system.

Music is a powerful tool to create meaningful and lasting change and with Macklemore and many Palestinian artists, including rapper Saint Levant spearheading this campaign for change, one can only hope that other artists join in on this campaign for justice in Palestine and calls for a free Palestine.

Anyway … Free Palestine.