60th Primetime Emmy Awards - Arrivals

Now that it’s officially spring, it’s time to break out those springtime colors! But from the array of options within the color family, it can be hard to determine which one to start with. As minimal as coloring detail might be, it can truly make a world of difference. Have a tough interview or nervous about a first date? Well, besides your killer personality and Colgate smile, wearing a color that best highlights your skin tone can leave a good impression. Here’s a black book of secrets to keep in mind to help you look unforgettable for those oh-so-important situations.

To start off your colorful quest, you first need to figure out whether your skin tone is cool or warm. To determine this, look at the veins on the inside of your arm and inner wrist. If they are more blueish-purple, you have a cool skin tone. If your veins are more greenish-yellow, you have a warm tone. For cool toned individuals, blue-based colors such as navy, ruby and white will compliment you best. And if you’re warm toned, olive, pinks and oranges are your most complimentary color options.

If the whole red fish, blue fish, warm flush, cool flush debacle is too unnecessarily complicated, try the simpler approach. Between the four basic skin shades from light to dark, decide which shade closely resembles yours. Here are some simple color selections to take for a spin or completely avoid:

Light

Try: Blue, Purple

Avoid: Orange, White

Medium

Try: Pink, Ivory

Avoid: Yellow, Brown

Medium-Dark

Try: Orange, Green

Avoid: Pink, White

Dark

Try: Yellow, Red

Avoid: Brown, Grey

You can also dress according to your hair or eye color. If you have bright eyes, such as blue or green, make them pop by wearing a matching colored top or statement necklace. For my redhead friends, emeralds and other rich greens look the most flattering with your vibrant hair and light skin combination. And when it comes to accessories, silver looks better with warm skin tones, while gold pieces look best with cool tones.

So, now that you have the basics down, it’s time to conquer the multi-colored world. But if there’s a color you really want to wear, go for it! Don’t feel pressured to limit your closet to three basic colors. Experiment! See which colors work for you and which make you feel your best. After all, when you feel good, you look good––and the world knows it, too. So whichever color you wear or however you wear it, make sure to wear it with confidence.