Courtesy of guardian.co.uk
Courtesy of guardian.co.uk

I can’t believe how fast four years have passed. If you’re part of the beautiful class that is 2013, there are a few things to look forward to these next couple of weeks: your last last day of school, your last final and your last 8 a.m. class. But now comes the dreaded question: “What are your plans after graduation?” Dusting off your resume and sprucing up the details is only half the battle. Here are the do’s and don’ts of what to wear to an interview:

DO: Wear a blazer

DON’T: Wear a casual jacket/cardigan

A basic blazer is a must-have to tie your whole outfit together. To be on the universally safe side, you can never go wrong with black. However, if you want to be more daring, you can try a colored blazer. A royal blue or dark grey are some tasteful alternatives.

DO: Wear a collared shirt

DON’T: Wear a graphic T-shirt or deep V-neck

Even if you’re wearing the name of the company you’re interviewing for, and as high as your confidence level may be, you still haven’t gotten the position yet. You’ll just end up looking unprofessional and arrogant. A nicely-pressed shirt is necessary for the interview process. Wear a tie or bow-tie if you have one, but nothing in a pattern or color that is too distracting. Ladies, it is imperative that your buttoned shirt fits appropriately without stretching in the front.

DO: Wear a pencil skirt

DON’T: Wear one that is too short

Ladies, when it comes to the length of your pencil skirt, I like to remember the scoldings of my high school nun teachers: no more than three inches above the knee. As fun and appealing as you may like to look, you must remember professionalism above all else. If you find yourself second-guessing your skirt length, it’s probably a sign you shouldn’t wear it.

DO: Wear slacks

DON’T: Wear jeans

As comfortable as your jeans are and no matter what the color, jeans are a no-no for an interview. You want to look like you’ve already gotten the job, not as if you just rolled out of bed. Ladies and gents, your slacks must be fitted, ironed and well-tailored. Never roll the hems. Match your slacks with the color of your blazer for a more polished look.

DO: Wear dress shoes

DON’T: Wear casual or open toed shoes

Anything you can or have worn to the club is probably not something you should wear to an interview. We all love a great pair of shoes, but sneakers, sandals and open-toed, sky-high heels scream unprofessional. Don’t feel comfortable in heels? Flats are a great substitute.

When it comes to jewelry, don’t overdo it. Stick with a few pieces, such as a watch and earrings. On a budget, but still want to look your best? Stores like H&M and Express have some great pairings for even better prices. Remember: as Oscar Wilde once said,“You can never be too be overdressed or overeducated.”

Good luck!